The Diocese was founded with the consecration of John William Colenso on St. Andrew’s Day, 30th November 1853 at the Lambeth Parish Church in England. Colenso was the first Anglican Bishop of Natal co-inciding with British Imperialistic age of expansion. A man before his time, Colenso was a militant champion of the Zulu people, a man of justice, and deep respect for their traditions and rulers. He was however theologically a man of controversy because of his nonconformist views and a man emulated by many who followed long after his death. The oldest consecrated Church in the diocese is St Mary’s Richmond. The parish began with a small pole and daga church in March 1853 and was consecrated three years later by Bishop Colenso. Today the Diocese of Natal shadows much of the geographical area of KwaZulu Natal, excluding Zululand, and Umzimvubu, who have their own dioceses. The Diocese is divided into fourteen Archdeaconries facilitating the administrative and pastoral leadership overseen by the 9th Bishop of Natal, the Right Revd. Rubin Phillip. The Bishops Suffragan are Bishop Nkosinathi Ndwandwe (South Episcopal Area), and Bishop Tsietsi Seleoane (North West Episcopal Area). The fourteen Archdeaconries comprise: The Cathedral and Pietermaritzburg, Durban, Durban Ridge, Duban South, Ingagane, Lovu, Msunduzi, North Coast, North Durban, Pinetown, Umkhomazi, Umngeni, Umzimkhulu and Uthukela.The Diocese of Natal has offices in Pietermaritzburg, at the Cathedral Centre at 169 Langalibalele Street; in Durban at Diocesan House, 29 St Mary’s Avenue Greyville;. and Ladysmith at 64 Murchison Street.